About Me

My photo
I live in south central Florida. Center of the state in a small "cow town". I am surrounded by pastures and orange groves. I am a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter and sister. I have 3 children and 4 stepchildren with a combined total of 18 grandchildren and 1 beautiful great-grandson. I have travelled throughout the United States, Great Britain and even made it to France and Canada. I have plans for future travel through Europe via railcar and I want to travel the Northern Corridor of the United States via rail. At 53, I need to get busy.

Followers

Friday, February 11, 2011

Houston, Texas

Houston, Tx. is one of my favorite places in the country. I had made the trip on my own, driving 12hrs straight. As I crossed into Texas from Louisiana, the bridge seemed to go straight up with no end. My trip almost ended there. It felt like IF I made it to the top, there would be no other side. But I just thought of where I had just come from and what was waiting on the other side. Texas won! I passed a sign coming into Beaumont that El Paso was 800+ miles. I looked at my tripometer and I had already driven that far just to get to Texas, now the other side was just as far.
My 1st experience was driving around on I-610 bypass at 2am. Very little traffic with 6 lanes in one direction. It never gets really dark in Houston. A friend of mine landed there one night and as he stepped off the plane he said “there might just be a light bulb in Houston.” We went riding downtown Houston one night. Horse drawn carriages every where. Glass and concrete are all you see. I was lying with my head out the window, looking up at the glass buildings; my friend warned me that the area was not safe to hang like that. The beauty of the area made me forget the potential dangers. I was flying home and the area is so big, I flew a small jet from south of town to the Houston airport. The Astro-dome, Johnson Space Center, interstate exchanges 6-8 layers in the sky, Sugarland and Alvin; I love the Houston area. But please, be prepared, as the sun comes up and the city comes to life, those 6+ lanes of traffic become bumper-to-bumper and you will wonder how all those people go in hiding through the night.
A short drive on a Sunday afternoon and  enjoy a day on the beaches of Galveston. My friend drove a semi there hauling burnt oil and I would travel with him. We went down to Houma, La once to unload a ship there. The engines had gone down on a missionary ship and we had to off-load the diesel while they waited on their new engines. I describe that area of the world as “The place God forgot to finish”. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment